22.5.09

They don't like copying so much as in the rest of China

When I was at the Hong Kong International Art Fair I saw this painting, that used the pattern of Louis Vuitton for a painting. It reminds me of a lecture of Hendrik-Jan Grievink we had in class, where he told us that in China the copies they make of western logo's and products are way more popular and cooler then our originals. For example the HiPhone is much more popular then the iPhone and that is not only because it is cheaper. There is even a name for this: 'Shanzai'. I realized I saw barely anything of this in Hong Kong. Some days later I spoke about it with a Chinese designer, she said that in the rest of China copyright doesn't matter, because they think 'copy = right'. But that in Hong Kong which was till really recently not part of China, but a British colony, this mentality doesn't count. Probably because they were for so long a part of a western country, that now they simply use the normal western logo's and products.

No comments:

Post a Comment